I’ve
always been a huge Harry Potter fan. When I was a kid, I was obsessed. I read
the first four books at seven and went to midnight releases for the rest, and reread
them all again and again and again. I listened to podcasts, read fanfiction,
wrote for an online role playing site, and listened to wizard rock music.
Easily some of my favorite experiences when I spent four months in the UK were
visiting Harry Potter-related sites. I’ve read the books and seen the movies so
many times I’ve lost count, and I can probably still answer just about any
trivia question you might throw at me. (Just in case, major spoiler alert for
the whole series in the rest of this post.)
Death
is a major player in Harry Potter. Not literally, except in “The Tale of the
Three Brothers” in Tales of Beedle the
Bard, but thematically. Harry’s whole story started because Voldemort
murdered his parents. He proceeds to lose his godfather two short ears after
finding him, his greatest mentor and teacher, the pet that symbolizes his childhood
and innocence, the most loyal creature friend in yet another act of sacrifice,
and so many more.
And
it all happens because Voldemort is afraid of death. Because he heard a
prophecy once that told him, “Neither can live while the other survives.”
Because as a young child, he became obsessed with the idea of being the most powerful
wizard in the world and of living forever, to the extent that he was not
alienated by the idea of murdering others to cast the curse that would split
his soul to protect him.
Dumbledore
always told Harry that Voldemort’s greatest weakness was that he was so afraid
to die, and that this obsessive fear is what led him to so much evil.
Dumbledore said Harry need not be afraid of death, that “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”
I
didn’t have to look up that quote to remember it. It’s one of the better known
ones of the books, but more importantly, it’s always resonated with me. I know
in this world, being afraid of death couldn’t corrupt me into using a curse to
split my soul, but regardless, based on the evidence of the books, I’ve always
wholeheartedly agreed with Dumbledore that life is much more enjoyable if you
aren’t trying to run from the inevitable, and instead can accept that it’s
coming, and maybe even that it’s not so bad after all.
Harry
visits his parents’ grave in the final book, and on their shared tombstone he
sees the Scripture quote, “The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.” He
worries for a moment that this means his parents are trying to “defeat” death
the way Voldemort is, trying to conquer it and live forever. But really, it
means that death is coming for everyone, and it’s the last obstacle you have to
face before you’re free. Alternatively, it also means that it’s the last fear
you have to put to rest, one of the hardest ideas to come to terms with as you
try to build yourself a well-organized mind.
The
words of JK Rowling were so ingrained into my consciousness as a kid that it’s
no wonder that I convinced myself early on not to be afraid of death. I didn’t
lose sight of its horribleness and emotional resonance – I still cannot make it
through any of the last three books without weeping, for example. But being
upset by someone dying and being afraid of it are two different things. Somehow,
Dumbledore’s words took root in me as a personal goal and philosophy, one that
sticks with me even now.
No comments:
Post a Comment