A couple
days ago, I stumbled into a conversation with a very close friend about
assisted suicide. He expressed very adamantly and deliberately that he believes
that if people don’t want to live, they should have the right to choose to die.
This hit me
so much by surprise that I didn’t even know how to answer at first. I’ve had a
couple friends who have come very close to suicide due to depression, and the
idea that it’s okay for people to just end their lives seemed totally alien.
But no, that’s
not what B meant. In some places/countries, he explained, there are assisted
suicide programs where people can go through counseling and, if they are
declared mentally sane/stable and want to die, they are issued a drug cocktail
allowing them to do so. It’s wrong to murder and to end someone else’s life,
but if you want to die, he says, you should be able to make that choice for
yourself. And, he argued, it’s better to kill yourself with the aid of
counseling to make sure it’s what you want with your family knowing and
understanding your decision-making process, than to shoot yourself in the head.
Still. It
feels fundamentally wrong to me on every level that anyone should take their
own life. It feels like playing God to just eject yourself from the world
because you no longer enjoy your presence there. I wholeheartedly believe in
free will and individual rights, but there’s something about an action that
extinguishes your very lifeblood… People can try to get pregnant, but they cannot
actively control the creation of life, and to me it feels like the opposite bookend
of that should be true too.
But I have no reason to believe, that I’d ever
want to end my own life (assuming freedom from mental illness). B, on the
other hand, has muscular dystrophy. He used to be an excellent piano player,
and now has so little control of his fingers that he carries a tool to help him
open soda/beer cans. Multiple times he has broken a foot and barely even
noticed, because he can’t feel it. The older he gets, the more his body will
deteriorate. He’ll likely be confined to a wheelchair before long, and
eventually maybe be unable to move at all. He’s had friends die at twelve years
old because of more extreme forms of his disease. He’s seen relationships in
his family be torn apart from the strain of one spouse being so completely
dependent on the other for care.
He’s happy
now, enjoying life, still able to do many things that he loves and to lead a
relatively normal life. But he never plans to get married, because he doesn’t
want to end up in a broken relationship that makes someone suffer the burden of
taking care of him every day of their lives. And he can easily imagine a time
in his 40s or 50s when he would rather die than continue living a life of
constant pain, unable to carry out many jobs (regardless of disability laws), and
completely reliant on other people to function.
I can’t
imagine wanting to die. But I also can’t imagine a life knowing that that’s my
future. And it’s hard to argue with someone who has no other future to
consider.
I couldn’t
help doing a little research about the whole assisted suicide concept, because
I had no idea it was even an option in some places. In the US, there are five
states where terminally ill, mentally competent patients with less than six
months to live can request a prescription for life-ending medication. Other
countries have even looser laws, permitting not just assisted suicide but
euthanasia. In Belgium, doctors can help patients end their lives when they “freely
express a wish to die because they are suffering intractable and unbearable
pain.”
Even where
it’s illegal, right-to-die groups still offer ways to carry out assisted
suicide. Organizations such as Compassion & Choices and Final Exit Network
let people sign up for suicide cocktails by mail. They are sent exactly what
they will need, with specific instructions for how to use it – including orders
for family members to destroy the instructions after the plan has been carried out.
Even
thinking about this makes my breathing uneven and my heart beat out of rhythm.
I watched
a video clip from a PBS documentary of a family member
matter-of-factly explaining the pills her relative was taking – first anti-anxiety
and anti-nausea ones in preparation for diving into the lethal dose of 60 pills
in fifteen minutes. She was so calm and matter-of-fact about the idea of someone
she loved just ending her life.
I could
barely breathe.
I’m
blessed to be physically and mentally healthy. Maybe being resistant to death
is a sign of that, and maybe that makes it sort of a good sign that society as
a whole is as afraid of death as most people are. Because the opposite of a
fear of death is even more alarming - hearing B talk with complete ease
about wanting to die in what we usually consider middle age, “the prime of
life,” before his disease gets to be too much to bear. I guess if life means
something different to you, death does too.
No comments:
Post a Comment