A couple
years ago, my friend and I found an old-fashioned wooden blanket trunk at a
flea market, which my friend was immediately excited about purchasing for her
room. When we opened it to see if there was anything inside, I was even more fascinated
by the contents: layers upon layers of photographs, letters, drawings, and
documents, all of which looked old and faded.
We rifled
through the documents, quickly ascertaining that they belonged to no one we’d
ever heard of. But we went ahead and purchased the trunk together with its
contents and lugged the hefty forty-pound trunk the two miles back to my
apartment, from Clark Park, in the rain.
Later that
night, after a performance of our show, we found ourselves back in my living
room, digging through the magical box of history. We organized it by type of
artifact, and then used the captions and text to start putting pieces together,
following the trail of relationships, family members, and timelines. We hopped
on the computer and searched recurring names to see if we could find the people
today to return things too. Eve was obsessed with the idea of making a reddit
to see if the internet hive mind could hunt people down, but I didn’t care much
about that part – I just wanted to understand people’s stories, as much as I
could from these small windows into their lives.![]() |
| Birth announcement, Baptism announcement, and young adulthood of Carol Ann Darnell |
It shouldn’t
have been a surprise when, two years later, I ended up following a similar course
for my undergraduate senior project in creating an archival history of the
Drexel Players. I spent many long hours reading old newspaper articles, rifling
through a delicate scrapbooks from decades past, scouring playbills for names
and juicy director’s notes, and taking notes on every college yearbook ever
published, all to frame a story that had been largely lost from memory in the
intervening years.
I’ve never
been able to explain why projects like these draw me in so much. With the
Players, it was easy to use the excuse that learning about our history might
inspire ideas for us for the future. But with the trunk I had no such excuse. And
in both cases, it was more for my own interests than for any such lofty reason;
I was fascinated by finding the same names again and again, by charting the course
of individuals through time and in learning something of who they were and what
they did.
I think, if
I’m honest with myself, I’m drawn to other people’s histories because I hope
someone else will be drawn to mine.
I try my
best to make it easy for them. I’ve scrapbooked for years, created photobooks
of trips and special events, and saved the programs and posters of every show
or project I’ve worked on. I religiously ensure that someone, whether it’s me
or not, is taking photos of important events. When I carefully upload, tag, and
caption all my photos on Facebook, it’s not in hopes that I’ll get hundreds of “likes”
to create a shiny happy picture of my life; it’s to create a detailed catalog
of my life. I love handwritten letters, and I still print hard copies of photos
so there’s physical evidence of my story too.
I like to
think that doing these things is just the right trail of breadcrumbs for
someone to follow in the future. Ideally, of course, my family and friends will
keep and treasure these memories. But even if they don’t, I have a romantic vision that no matter who I
am or become, someone somewhere will find a bin of my belongings at a flea
market someday and think it’s worth staying up til 3 in the morning trying to
piece together who I am, or who I was. I like to think even if I’m not famous
or well-known, that my legacy will live on somewhere, somehow.

No comments:
Post a Comment