I have
trouble talking to other people about my thoughts and feelings about death for
the same reason I have trouble talking about sexual expression and abortion and
a lot of the other hot topics in society: my perspective is intricately
interwoven with my faith and understanding of it.
This is
complicated for a lot of reasons: first, having opinions informed by
Catholicism does not, at least in my case, mean that I agree 100% with all the
Church’s teachings (spoiler: I don’t). But I wouldn’t be a practicing Catholic by
now if I didn’t get a lot more good than bad out of what the Catholic Church teaches
and how that affects how I live my life. But whenever I try to explain to
anyone an opinion that’s remotely faith-based – especially in an industry like
theatre that’s largely unreligious and heavily liberal – I’m constantly
concerned that my mindset will be immediately discredited (whether consciously
or not) for someone who’s not a Christian, despite the fact that I’ve put a
huge amount of independent thought into forming my opinions and have not
blindly followed doctrine without asking myself the hard questions (at least, I
like to think so). Yet at the same time, I have a constant fear of backpedaling
too far, of being so concerned that speaking in the context of my religion will
alienate people that I neglect that influence entirely – and that’s not fair or
correct either.
All that
being said, my understanding of what it means to die and of life after death is
profoundly Catholic in nature. I believe that when we die, our bodies remain
behind (“from dust we were born, and to dust we shall return”) and our souls go
on, for most people to purgatory and eventually to heaven, or occasionally to
hell or straight to heaven. This, of course, is something that I can’t really
develop an opinion on based on in-world experience, because nobody really
knows. But it is something that has always connected with me and that I am
content to embrace as a tenet of my faith.
Now, I don’t
agree with everything the Church teaches about what gets you to heaven or hell
(one of the most important instances being that I don’t think you have to be
Catholic to go to heaven, even if you have the opportunity to be/exposure to
it). But in essence, I believe that if I do my best to live a good life as
Jesus taught us, and if I repent and ask for forgiveness when I inevitably
screw up, then I will eventually make it to heaven and eternal paradise.
Essentially,
what that means is that I’m not afraid of death. Now, I can’t always maintain
this healthy macro-level confidence/serenity, especially when it comes to the deaths
of people I love or of very young people, and it doesn’t make senseless asks of
violence/killing forgivable just because there’s somewhere you get to go on to.
But it does mean that I don’t feel like I have to struggle to hold on or like
this is the only chance I get to live, because I know it’s not. And I
know/sense/believe/whatever you want to call it, that unless I end up really
royally evil, what’s next will be infinitely better than anything I can
imagine.
Sometimes
people ask me how our lives on Earth can possibly be significant if I believe
we go on to live elsewhere in eternity, and this is barely a blip on that radar.
The answer is easy enough for me: we’re here now, and how could anyone bear to
go through life if they spend all their time feeling like they don’t matter?
(With extreme difficulty – given that this is one of the biggest struggles for
those with depression.)
I clicked
through a great interactive site the other day (I’ll post the link if I can
find it again) that demonstrated why time seems to pass so much slower when you’re
younger; when you’re four, a year has been a whole quarter of your life and
therefore seems enormous. But by the time you’re twenty, a single year is only
1/20thof your life, a significantly smaller number – so imagine how
short a year feels fractionally by the time you’re 65 or 100. Our lives in
comparison to eternity are a little like that – sure, eternity seems enormous
(and is), but we can’t fully grasp what that means; we can only live in and
comprehend the amount of time we’re faced with today. And to us, living for a
hundred years IS a lot, so of course it matters what we do, how we spend it,
who we love, how we treat those around us. And sure, that’s a “faith-based”
opinion in-so-far as living a good life helps you get to heaven, but I like to
think for most people, being a good person is a, if not THE, goal, regardless
of spiritual understanding or upbringing.
No comments:
Post a Comment