Monday, August 17, 2015

Light in the dark

(a continuation of my last post, "Emily was")

I hadn’t seen the girls from Edinburgh altogether in two years. It was the kind of thing where we were very close for a very specific reason – living, working, and playing together in one flat for a month can do that to you – but when we went home, we returned to our own lives. We still overlapped, of course – one of the girls was heavily involved with theatre and lived across the hall from me in my apartment building, two were in my year and major and did all my group projects with me, two others were sorority sisters, and so on. But while now and then we’d talk about having a reunion, we were always too many people with too widely varied lives to actually make it happen.

A couple weeks after I got the news about Emily, one of the girls posted in our long-neglected Facebook group asking if we all wanted to get dinner sometime. No one said it was because of Emily, but if it weren’t for her I can’t imagine the responses checking back in and compromising on scheduling would have been so ready and willing. We all seemed to feel the same need to see each other and process our connection to Emily’s death. Other than one girl who was away working in New York, we’d all be there.

We decided to do a late dinner at a Mexican restaurant on a Sunday night, in honor of Emily’s erstwhile dedication to finding good Mexican food in Scotland. By the time 8 PM rolled around, I really didn’t want to go. I’d had one of the most socially exhausting weekends I’d ever had, over the course of which I’d had to be every different version of myself for all my different social and professional groups. I walked there thinking – guiltily – that the last thing I wanted to do was think about death and have my mood and energy lowered even further.

But it wasn’t like that. There was something really special about just being back together. We’d all grown a lot in two years, and we were able to dive easily into conversation, telling each other about our lives and plans and adventures since we’d seen each other last. Everyone had so much to tell, and there was something unique about sharing stories with people who knew each other so well in some ways, but hardly at all in others.

It wasn’t until after we’d finished the main meal, and were looking into drinks and desserts, that we finally talked about Emily. I don’t know how it came up – if someone said they wished she were there, or if we started talking about Edinburgh and it seemed natural – but suddenly the topic had been broached, and we were there, talking about her. I don’t know if it was me or someone else, but someone expressed what I kept saying, how strange it felt for us to mourn her when so many people had it far harder than we did. But the great thing was that there, in that moment with them, we were all on the same level, and for once I didn’t have to try to explain the context of my loss. Everyone there understood.

Well, not all of us were on the same level. Emily had gotten closer to one of us than the rest, and the two of them stayed close and continued to spend time together as often as they could over the past two years.

I’d deduced through Instagram that J had seen Emily in Spain on one of her last days, but I hadn’t realized until we all started talking about how we’d heard the news that they had been together the morning Emily got on that plane. J was flying back to the States after visiting Barcelona at the end of her study abroad term in Rome. Emily’s plane went down over the Alps sometime during the first leg of J’s flight, but Heathrow was blocking all news carrying the story, so she heard nothing about the event even on her six-hour layover. It wasn’t until she landed in the States hours later and had a Facebook message from one of Emily’s other friends that J even knew something was wrong, and the rest fell out from there.

After this story, the conversation moved on and others continued to talk about their emotions and experiences. But I could tell J was still thinking, dwelling, and since she was sitting next to me I was able to have a quiet side conversation with her.

“Why was she in Barcelona, anyway?”

“She came to visit me.”

Oh. Woah. J explained that Emily and her mom had made plans to take their vacation through several places in Europe, and had agreed to meet up with J in Barcelona when they realized their travel dates lined up perfectly. Then the Selkes had booked their seat on the budget Germanwings flight, going on to the next leg of their trip as J headed home.

“If it wasn’t for me, she wouldn’t have been in Barcelona at all.”

She didn’t say it, but I could tell she was thinking it, so I answer the unspoken thought, “…It’s not your fault.”

“I know. I know. But…” Again, the words didn’t have to be said. It feels like it sometimes.

Out of nowhere, J – one of the steadiest, goofiest people I know – was crying. I hugged her, trying to provide some measure of comfort. It distracted the others from their conversation, and they asked if she was okay. I felt guilty, as if I had drawn attention to her that she might not have wanted from everyone.

I don’t know why grief hits us in the way that it does. I don’t know how the few extra experiences they had together kept J and Emily so close, even though they were infrequent since Emily had graduated and moved to Pittsburgh. I don’t know why I suddenly felt so guilty as we all sat there and talked about how terrible the media response to the event was, as if we were the insensitive ones, ignoring our own friend and her greater level of grief.

But despite all that, it wasn’t a sad night, really. This isn’t about that. It’s the opposite, the odd and contradictory joy of the whole occasion. As we were paying the bill, someone said, “I’m sorry it had to be because of this… But I’m really glad we all got together again.”

It’s true. Death takes away a person, leaves a hole of some sort, whether it’s a gaping one in your everyday life or a small confused one in your memories. But it can also bring people closer together. Like when my friend in the van on the way back from Kentucky responded to the news by saying how much she cared about all of us. And like how eight girls put aside their crazy schedules for the first time in two years because losing one of our number made us realize how much we still cared about our memories and wanted to support each other.


I can’t say it made figuring out how I felt about Emily’s death any easier, and we haven’t all gotten together again since that night. But I do know that it’s not always about doom and gloom. Sometimes the dark moments are the ones that help you find the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment