One
day when I was in second or third grade, my Sunday school catechism teacher
matter-of-factly told us that pets didn’t go to heaven because they don’t have
souls. One of my friends burst into tears and cried so hard and so uncontrollably
about the idea of never seeing her pets again when she died that she had to be
taken out of the room for a while to get calmed down.
This
is one of the things I struggle with in Catholicism. I have been a pet owner my
entire life, and I’ve known and loved my pets for far longer than most people
in my life. I understand conceptually what my teacher saying. We were given
free will and the ability to choose to follow God because we were created in
His image. This comes in the form of a soul, and it’s what separates us on a
fundamental level from even the most intelligent animals; having the ability to
act on something more than instinct. Souls
are the part of us that have life after death. (I don’t think any Christians
are arguing against the validity of decomposition of the body, at least not
within the doctrine of any denomination I know.) People who don’t believe in
life after death also tend not to believe in the concept of a soul; the two go
hand-in-hand.
But
if heaven is paradise, how can my pets not be there? There’s little that makes
me happier than fuzz therapy, a lazy afternoon playing with my cat or cuddling
with my dog. Then again, how can I even begin to imagine what heaven is like?
If it’s all it’s cracked up to me, I’m sure I won’t even miss animals.
…I
don’t like that option very much either though.
(I
thought I was here to write about pets, but I think maybe I’m here to write
about heaven instead.)
I
mean, the idea of heaven is absolute paradise, right? By definition, it’s one
of those godly things that are so infinite and vast that humankind can’t begin
to grasp what it’d be like to be in such total bliss.
I’m
sitting here thinking about that and knowing that that’s supposed to be
comforting, that that’s always been what kept me from being afraid of death –
knowing that there’s something far better to come – but I’m realizing it’s actually
pretty terrifying.
I
like to know things. I hate feeling like there’s a concept I can’t grasp, to
the extent where I get surly and lash out at people when they’re not explaining
something in a way I feel like I can understand. Of course, accepting things
you don’t know everything about is a natural part of faith. But there’s a
difference between believing something after a lot of self-reflection and
exploration about it, and thinking about a big empty future that we know
nothing about other than its theoretical perfection.
There
will be no pain, no suffering, no inequality, no poverty, no illness. None of
the tragedies that plague our world in ways that seem eternal and unsolvable.
But though I think I’m supposed to be excited by the idea that I’d never have
to feel pain, it sort of bothers me a little bit. It’s only been in the last
year or so of my life that I’ve started pushing myself to feel feelings, both
in the form of being willing to talk about them with other people (and thus
acknowledge that they exist), and of just letting myself cry or scream or rant
or skip with joy, because I’m allowed to feel. And though I can drown in the
gut-wrenching-ness of bad emotions, they also make me feel human and very
alive. And when I come out on the other side, everything else feels that much
sweeter.
I
don’t think I like the idea of being somewhere where feelings may not exist. I
want to live in a world without evil or suffering, absolutely. But I’m not
quite ready to think about stopping feeling, when I’ve only just begun.
But
maybe that’s just part of being young.
I
think about the idea of not being
human anymore, of just existing in some unknown form, of not having a mind that
struggles with interpersonal relationships or insecurities or anxieties or
world problems, but instead of just being ethereal and eternally peaceful and
loving. I think of all time existing simultaneously in such a way that I can exist
forever without ever getting bored or feeling like time is wasted.
That
certainly doesn’t seem like a bad
thing.
But
I’m not ready yet – and that’s good. It’s terrifying that the future is
unknowable. But whatever it is, if I have faith – and I do – I have to trust
that it’s better than I can begin to imagine. But I don’t have to rush to get
there. It’s good – healthy even - to have a little fear of it, I think. Because
I want to stay here and feel feelings first. I want to laugh and cry and fall
in love and have my heart broken and lose someone I love and change someone’s
life and maybe have a kid someday and explore everything else out there that’s
part of living.
I
don’t think I’m scared of death, not really. But that doesn’t mean I’m in any
hurry to get there, either. I’ve got a lot more being human to do first.
More
on the pet question later.
No comments:
Post a Comment