I’m
currently working on my second play this year that ends in a suicide. Three of
my closest friends have recently gone through or are currently going through
crippling bouts of depression and anxiety, and one of their sisters attempted
suicide a few years ago.
So
it’s something that’s impossible not to think of when we’re exploring ideas
about death. Suicide scares me perhaps more than any other cause of death, both
for myself and others, probably because even the idea of it leave me feeling
completely helpless.
I
have no history of mental illness at this point, which I feel very blessed and
fortunate about given my ever-increasing awareness of its prevalence. But I
know there’s no guarantee of it staying that way, that it’s not a childhood risk
that you grow out of. I know my family has a history of depression, and I know
there’s no reason why something won’t be triggered in me. So when I’m upset or
anxious about something, it’s always compounded by a fear that they’re not
everyday emotions but the start of something more uncontrollable and lasting. I
value my mind and my self-control, my self-motivation and resilience, more than
almost anything. The mere idea that I could become unable to convince myself to
get out of bed, or throw up or have physical panic attacks from anxiety, or
feel with total certainty that life is not worth living, is completely
terrifying. I’ve never felt that way,
but I have spent enough time with people who have that I know how much it can
change people at its worst. I am strong and tough, but I don’t know how that
would change in the face of something I don’t have control over. I don’t know
what would happen if I was convinced I would be better off dead. That’s one
battle I pray I’ll never have to fight.
But
as much as I’m scared of losing myself to mental illness, I’m even more
concerned about suicide for those closest to me. Depression is as real an
illness as cancer, and while it may not kill you directly, it’s the root cause
as much or more than any overdose. One of my friends spent a couple weeks checked
into a behavioral health hospital this winter because her suicidal thoughts
were so serious. Another is seeing three different kinds of doctors and almost
took a term off school in response to the strength of his returning anxiety; his parents will take any measure to combat his mental illness after his sister's suicide attempt. So as impossible
as it feels that these people – who are often in good places when I see them, either
cheered up by the presence of a loved one or just putting on a good face in a
social setting – might kill themselves, I know it’s a very real possibility.
And
I just… I don’t know what I would do with that. My instinct is to help,
support, to offer a listening ear and a shoulder to cry on, and a nudge toward
professional help when not already in use. I can do those things, but I don’t
have any real power. I know rationally that even if I didn’t do those things
and someone I love were to kill himself or herself, it wouldn’t be my fault…
But they would be gone. Ripped from the world forever. And there’s nothing I
can do to stop that desire in them. Nothing I can do to help.
No comments:
Post a Comment